CALPIRG at UC San Diego
- Core Meetings (Open to the Public) - Mondays - 6pm - Sustainability Resource Center (next to Price Theater)
- Campaign Meetings - Wednesdays - 6pm - Location TBA (in Core Meeting)
- Kickoff Meeting - Monday, October 10th - 6pm - Location TBA
- Hardcore Meetings - Sundays - 8pm - Location TBA
We are UC San Diego's students' public interest group, and have been since 1976. We are focused on getting real results. For example, we worked with the state legislature to pass SB 32, a landmark bill to cut carbon emissions. Other victories include registering 40,000 students to vote, passing a bill to make textbooks more affordable, and getting $36 billion in financial aid directly to students (through Pell grants). We offer opportunities for you to become an intern or volunteer, where you can learn a variety of skills while really making a difference. By joining CALPIRG, you can see how easy it is to get involved in a large movement for social change.
This semester, we're working on...
- Saving California's historic ban on single-use plastic bags by urging citizens to vote Yes on Proposition 67
- Helping thousands of students register to vote
- Saving bees by encouraging the restrictions of a class of pesticides called Neonics
Students' support can go a long way
The thing that makes us so effective is that 10% of our students pledge to pay $10 on their bill every semester to fund CALPIRG. When we share our resources, we can stand up to powerful opposition that generate enough profit to influence lawmakers in their favor with ease. Students' contributions help us make students’ voices just as influential, allowing us to hire our own professional staff to train students to run effective campaigns as well as advocate in Sacramento and Washington DC full time on our behalf.
If you would like to volunteer with us, scroll down to the calendar below and find an event that interests you. Then click here to access our sign-up form. At the bottom of the form are different tabs for different events. Go to the tab for the event you want to volunteer at and fill in your name, phone number, and when you plan to come. If you've never volunteered with us before, don't worry! Just ask for the hourly coordinator at the event and they can train you on what to do!
- 1 of 7
- next ›
UC San Diego Chapter Slideshow
- About Us
- Campus Chapters
- Get Involved